Writer-in-Residence Sought – Saint John
Writer-in-Residence for Older Adults Writing Project 2016-17 @ Saint John Free Public Library
Request for Applications
The Saint John Free Public Library is seeking an individual to participate in a project developed by the Saint John Free Public Library which will target older adults. “Sharing Our Stories: development of emerging writers over 50, using a mentor-in-residence” has received a grant from the New Horizons for Seniors Program – Community Based Projects (Department of Employment and Social Development) to cover all aspects of this project.
The writer-in-residence will collaborate with a committee composed of seniors and library staff to determine and organize specific projects and activities that will best serve the community, and plan community events.
Working with Library staff and the Older Adults Council, he or she will focus his/her activities primarily on assisting seniors with their writing skills. Specific tasks include:
- read manuscripts and confer with writers on their work
- arrange free writing seminars or workshops
- work with library staff to arrange public author readings
- work with library staff to promote this project and related programs through regular and social media
- work with library staff to arrange a celebration of all the writings created and shared over the course of the program
- assist with the creation of an on-line archive of stories and a printed version of the collected works
- Provide qualitative and quantitative reports on their experience during the project
Office space and equipment will be provided.
The ideal applicant will have
- teaching and/or tutoring experience
- writing and/or editing experience
- excellent communication skills
- computer skills – MS word
- familiarity with and ability to promote on social media
Experience working with seniors would be an asset.
Employment duration: up to 9 months, ending March 17, 2017.
Compensation: $20 per hour, approx. 6 hours per week
We thank all those who apply. However, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. The deadline for applications is July 30, 2016
Applications, including cover letter and resumé should be sent to:
Head of Young Adult and Adult Services
Saint John Free Public Library
1 Market Square, Saint John, NB E2L 4Z6
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org