WHEN: Competition runs from December 9, 2016 to March 3, 2017.
WHO: All Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada, published and unpublished writers, may submit. (WFNB members pay a reduced entry fee.) WFNB directors and executive are not eligible.
WHAT: All entries must be original works. For detailed guidelines, see the specific category (below) you wish to enter.
HOW: While the competition is active, submit your manuscript and payment by clicking the “SUBMIT” link at the bottom of this page. Entries can only be submitted online.
See individual categories for entry requirements, including word count. Word count includes titles. Our word limits are strict in each category.
Submit as many texts as you wish in one or all categories. Each text may be submitted to only one category. You must complete a separate entry and pay the entry fee for each manuscript entered.
You will receive an email confirming your submission has been received.
How to format and submit entries
Complete and eligible submissions to prize categories must include the following. (Please keep a copy of the complete online submission for your records.)
Prepare your manuscript
Your unpublished manuscript, containing no personal information, must be formatted as follows:
- Word (.doc or .docx) or PDF format;
- Use 12 pt. font, Times New Roman or Arial, double-spaced, (except poetry), on a 8.5 x 11 page, with at least a one inch margin on all sides (if you are submitting poetry that relies on certain formatting, we suggest submitting as a .pdf to ensure nothing shifts);
- Each page must be numbered in sequence and each page must include the title of the story in the header or footer;
- Please do not put your name on your submission. Your name should only appear on your cover letter, as the cover letter is for office use only. This ensures blind judging;
- The filename should include the title of your piece and the category you are submitting to (ex: MyStory_CNF.doc.) Please do not submit files that are labelled ‘my manuscript’ or other generic titles.
Prepare your cover letter (for office use):
- Include your name, permanent address (not summer home or cottage), phone number, and e-mail;
- Provide a one-paragraph description / biographical note of the entrant, including mention of any previous writing credits, if applicable
- Copy and paste your cover letter into the text box provided on the category submission page.
Your complete submission and payment must be received no later than the March 3, 2017 deadline.
The Writers’ Federation of New Brunswick does not accept applications that are incomplete, formatted improperly, exceed the word limit, or submitted past the deadline. Entry fees will not be refunded, so please check your application carefully. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the WFNB office prior to submitting your manuscript.
Please note that due to limited resources, we are unable to provide technical assistance such as formatting or attaching documents to email. If you require this kind of assistance, please speak to a friend or family member, or contact your local library branch.
Fees & Payment
Entry fees are as follows:
- The David Adams Richards Prize for a fiction and Poetry manuscripts are $35 CDN for members and $40 CDN for non-members
- Sheree Fitch Prize for Teen writers is $10 CDN, which includes a one-yer membership for youth 13-18 years.
- Entry fee for all other categories is $20 CDN for members and $25 CDN for non-members.
When you electronically submit your entry (using the Submit Button below) you will be prompted to pay by Paypal or credit card. If you wish to pay by cheque, please choose the category that offers that option. For example, if you are submitting to the Fog Lit Prize category, choose “Books for Young People (Fog Lit Prize) Pay by cheque“.
Entries will not be considered until both the manuscript and payment have been received.
The entry fee will not be refunded if your submission is ineligible. All submissions are final: entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Judging is blind. Prizes will be awarded (or not) at the discretion of the judges. Judges will provide brief comments for the first-place winner, second-place winner, and up to three honourable mentions. We will notify all winners in late April and award the prizes at the Literary Soirée during WordSpring in May. Manuscripts will not be returned.
See individual categories for prizes. Prizes will be awarded to first and second place winners in each category. Each category will also have up to three honourable mention winners. All winners will be invited to read from their submission at the Literary Soirée during WordSpring in May, where the prizes will be awarded.
Questions? Email info@wfnb or call (506) 224-0364.